Sunday, May 1, 2022

May 2022 Gardening Journal

Sunday, May 1, 2022

It's May...already.  

May just might be the biggest growing month of the year.  It doesn't seem like I made very much progress in April.  It seems like April was cooler than normal, but that could be totally wrong.  I did get quite a few things planted, but things just don't seem to be growing like I thought they would.  So I expect to see lots of change over the next 30 days.  It might be fun to take some pictures today then compare them with how things look at the end of the month.  If I had done that in April, I might be surprised to find that my "things don't seem to be growing" perception is totally wrong!

The first four months of no-till are behind me, and for the most part, I am really liking it.  I've already figured out some mistakes I made, but I think those mistakes can be corrected this fall when I put the garden to bed for the winter.

My first mistake was making some of the raised rows too narrow and steep.  When I water, the water wants to run down the sides of the raised row before it can soak in from the top.  So this fall when I top the rows with compost, I'll be flattening them out some so the top rows have more of a plateau for planting.