Saturday, December 17, 2022

December 17, 2022 Gardening Journal

It sounds like we're in for a very cold stretch of weather to end 2022.


The weather wasn't that great today...the temperature was in the mid-40s but the wind....  Oh my, was it COLD!  Sustained winds of around 15 mph, with gusts up to 30 mph at times made for a really unpleasant day to be outside doing anything.

But I had it in my head that I needed to get something done outside before the cold weather gets here, so I bundled up and headed outside around 9:30 am.

First thing that had to be done was empty my little garden cart.  It was full of the last of the composted cow manure from last winter.  I ended up just carrying it into the garden one shovel-full at a time (because my rows are too close together for my cart to fit).  I had enough to put a layer about 2" thick on about half of one row, along the south side of the cattle panel the cucumbers were on, and in a few spots at the end of that row.  So now the compost is gone.

The last of the composted cow manure has been put out on the garden.

Once the cart was empty, I used it to haul in two more cartloads of very fresh cow manure and added it to the compost bin, layering in some newspaper as my "browns."  I know that bin doesn't have nearly the right ratio of greens to browns, but it just is what it is.  The last time I checked, the temperature wasn't going up really at all, so I don't know if the pile just wasn't big enough or if it was too wet.  I didn't even bother to check it today.

The last thing I worked on today was a Hügelkultur row that I have wanted to add to the west end of the garden. That part of the garden was just so dry this past summer that I didn't have luck growing anything there.

I've seen several YouTube videos that talk about how great this works, and if I want to have that row ready for summer, I needed to get started on it ASAP.  (One of my favorites is "Hugelkultur in the Home Garden" from Growfully with Jenna!)  So I brought in a couple of logs that were about 24" long and 8" around, plus one "chunk" of a log that was already starting to get soft, then dug a trench about 12" deep, 3' long and plopped the logs in.  I filled in the gaps around them with sticks, topped that with some of the dried Sorghum Sudan grass I had cut last fall, put a layer of fresh cow manure over that, then finally covered the whole thing back with about 8" of the dirt.  A light coating of partially rotted straw finished it off.

Now I only have about 30' more to go!  

My first section of Hugelkulture bed in the west row of the garden.  It looks very tiny for the amount of work it took to build it!