Friday, March 29, 2024

Planting the Ozark Chinquapin

Today, the first little Ozark Chinquapin that sprouted was moved to its new home.

1) Dug a hole with the post hole digger - the hole was slightly deeper than the cardboard tube was tall.


2)  Drove a T-post on either side of the hole, spaced so that the wire cage would fit between them.

3) Put some topsoil down in the bottom and mixed it with some of the clay that came out of the hole.  

4) Wrapped the cardboard tube in chicken wire.  This is an attempt to protect the little nut, because if it is stolen, the tree likely won't survive.  The chicken wire will rust and eventually break (I hope).  If it doesn't, I can dig down around the tree when its older and cut it loose.

5) Centered the cardboard tube in the hole and started filling it back with topsoil mixed with the clay.


6) Filled the hole to the top then slightly pinched the wire around the top, again, trying to protect the nut.


7) Put a plastic container around the little tree to protect it from the wind (it was VERY windy today!).  The container will also help concentrate the water around the tree's roots this summer.  I learned that last year when I had that same container around a little oak tree that I planted.  Mounded the rest of the clay around the plastic container, because I believe the dirt will settle when it rains.  I may actually have to remove the cage after it rains and fill in some more around the cardboard tube.


8) Secured the wire cage around the newly planted tree.  The cage may look like overkill, but because the cattle are still in that field, it has to be sturdy enough to withstand them rubbing on it.  I may actually drag some of the cut privet limbs up and pile them around the cage to keep the cattle back until we get the new fence put up (this is my future wildflower meadow).


9) Stepped back and imagined how the two Ozark Chinquapin trees will look five years from now.  The tree I planted last year is in the cage by the stump, with the newly planted tree about 10 feet to the west.  I hope I planted them far enough apart.


I really hope the little trees put on some good growth this year.  I was a bit disappointed that the one I planted last year because it is only about 3" tall.  But it has new leaves, so at least I know it survived the winter.  I'll see how the trees look come June.

UPDATE 4/3/2024 - I looked out the front window yesterday morning and there was Arnold (the young bull) beside the new cage, just rubbing and rubbing and rubbing!  "This feels so good!" I heard him thinking.  Luckily, the cage and posts did their job and stayed in place.  He did bend the wire in a couple of spots but not so bad that the cage is non-functional.  

UPDATE 4/7/2024 - Well, the cows were at it again, rubbing on the cage and it is now bent in quite a bit at the bottom.  I drove two more T-posts beside it...one on the east side and another on the west.  I'll see what they do now.  The good news is that the tree still looks Ok.


The Ozarks Chinquapin Foundation 

(Other blog posts about the Ozarks Chinquapin)