Tuesday, June 4, 2024

The Baldwin's Milkvine (updated July 5)

I've been wondering how the Baldwin's Milkvine was doing this spring.  I last checked on it on May 5, and at that time it was about 2' high, with one small flower cluster.

Today, Mo and I walked down to check on it and it has grown so much!  It has two branches, both almost up to the top of the cage, a few pretty large leaves, and several flower clusters.



There aren't any seed pods forming yet, but maybe some of these flowers will be pollinated when the sun comes back out later this week (we've had several cloudy days in a row and the pollinators haven't been as active).  But it made me happy to see that it seems to be doing well now that it again has something to protect it and to climb on.

Update July 5

It has a pod!!!!


To try to keep any seeds from blowing away if the pod dries and cracks open, I put a small mesh bag over it.  I hope I didn't mess up by doing that.


My biggest worry is that the calves in the field (who are curious about everything) might try to reach through the wire with their tongue and pull the pod loose.  I put something up on the wire in front of the bag so I hope that will protect the pod.

Interestingly enough, the vine is still blooming strong.  It has actually grown out the top of the cage by about a foot so I carefully pushed that part back down inside the cage.  I'm hopeful that it will make more pods before summer is over.

Yay!!!!!