Sunday, November 6, 2022

November 6, 2022 Gardening Journal

Today was a very nice day, perfect for doing some fall cleanup chores.

First on the list, drain the IBC Tote, then move it to the north wall of the carport slab.  Once moved, I connected it to the three 55 gallon barrels and transferred about 60 gallons of water back into the tank.  Much better setup than before.


Next, time to put some of the composted cow manure onto the garden.  I raked back the straw, dumped one cart load onto the cardboard (which has almost rotted away) and then pulled the straw back over the compost.  I still need to put some wood chips down on my walking rows, and might want to put some boards around the compost.


Next, fix the mulch around the blackberry plants.  I put  composted cow manure around the plants, and covered that with cardboard/newspapers.  But this time I also put some cardboard down in the area between them.  I used most of my last remaining bale of straw to cover the cardboard.   Still have one plant to mulch around, and I still need to figure out what I'm going to do to get the canes up off the ground.


Finally, I put a layer of composted cow manure around the apple trees, covered that with cardboard/newspaper/packing paper, and topped that off with a thick layer of straw.


And in spite of the hot dry summer we had, the pecan tree has started dropping pecans!  I'm not sure how well they are filled out, but I've picked up a large coffee can full.  What a nice surprise!